Ever since Google announced the availability of its latest mobile OS, Android Lollipop, users have been waiting with bated breath to experience the OS. However, Lollipop rollout has been annoyingly slow. A few Smartphone and tablet models have got OTA update for the popular OS while others are still waiting. Sony has confirmed rollout of Lollipop for its flagship Z series devices of late.
However, as per the update, the newer Z3 and Z2 models will receive the OTA update first and users of Xperia Z will have to wait for some more time. If you use this device and dislike waiting for receiving the update, there is a way out!
Using Custom ROM for the Xperia Z Lollipop update
Sony earlier invited Android developers to build custom ROMs for its Flagship Z series devices with AOSP ROM of Lollipop. The AOSP ROM for Xperia Z can now be downloaded and used by users. It will have some deviations from official Android Lollipop but the core features will be there.
What you should check before applying the AOSP Update to Xperia Z
To make sure the Xperia Z OS update does not get stuck midway, check the following aspects:
- Before everything else, backup the data including contacts and messages.
- Ensure the device’s Boot loader is unlocked or custom ROM will not work.
- Ensure the device runs a custom recovery image.
- Download and install Xperia Z USB Drivers on the computer that will be used for the update process beforehand.
- Make sure the device has 80 Percent charge or more.
- Activate the USB debugging option in Xperia Z.
- Keep the USB cable ready.
Guide to update the Xperia Z to Lollipop OS using AOSP ROM firmware
- At first, you will need to download the adb_and_fastboot_files along with Lollipop AOSP 5.0 Zip file. Save these files on the desktop.
- Now, extract the fastboot and adb files and ensure all files remain in fastboot and adb folder.
- It is time to make the Xperia Z enter the fastboot mode. For this, you will need to turn off the device. Now press the device’s Volume Up button, hold it and connect the phone with PC using the USB cable.
- At this stage, the LED light on your Xperia Z will turn blue. This indicates beginning of fastboot mode.
- Now, locate the fastboot files in the PC HDD and then press shift and right click with mouse. This will launch the option to open Command prompt.
- In the launched Command prompt window, type the commands:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
- The files will be flashed. After that, you will need to reboot the device with the following command: Fastboot reboot
- This will initiate rebooting the device with Android 5.0 Lollipop firmware installed. Keep in mind that it can take some time and the apps initialization can also be time consuming for the first run.
Summing it up
Using custom ROM of Android may result in device warranty getting void. However, the update is not much tedious. If you feel impatient with Sony still not revealing exact date for Lollipop OTA rollout for the Xperia Z, this update is the best you can get.