There is no denying the Nexus lineup of Android smartphones opened up possibilities for users to experience Google’s versatile mobile OS in all its glory in premium devices.
The Galaxy Nexus I9250 was a category leading Android smartphone of its time and it was the first model to ship with Android ICS 4.0 OS. It was a result of collaboration between Samsung and Google.
The smartphone which enjoyed brisk sales and received positive response from critics was succeeded by the LG Nexus 4. However, it is still used by millions of satisfied users worldwide.
Infusing new life in your Galaxy Nexus I9250 with Android Lollipop
When the Galaxy Nexus I9250 was unveiled in the last quarter of 2011, it was perceived as a very powerful Smartphone with the latest build of Android. As it is natural with technology and gadgets, it is no longer the reigning king in its segment and has been overshadowed by several newcomers.
However, you can still choose to infuse a new lease of life in your ageing Galaxy Nexus I9250. It is possible to update its OS to official build of Android Lollipop 5.0, using AOSP ROM, a third party firmware. This third party ROM contains stock Android experience with some enhancements.
Prerequisites for Upgrading the Galaxy Nexus I9250 to Android Loiipop
Before your Galaxy Nexus GT-I9250 can be updated to Android Lollipop, a few preparations need to be made. These are:
Ø At first, you need to take backup of data in your device. This can be done using several third party apps available in Google Play.
Ø It is essential to install Samsung USB drivers in your computer. Or else, the PC will not be able to detect the phone.
Ø The phone needs to be at 80 percent battery capacity.
Ø You need to activate USB debugging in the device.
Ø The handset needs to be unlocked and rooted through TWRP or CWM recovery. Otherwise, custom ROM firmware will not run.
How to install Android 5.0.1 Lollipop in Galaxy Nexus GT-I9250 using AOSP ROM
· At first, you will have to download Google Apps and Android 5.0.1 Lollipop AOSP ROM, meant for Galaxy Nexus I9250 on the PC.
· Connect the device with the computer using USB cable. Ensure the USB mass storage mode is enabled.
· Then, copy the downloaded AOSP ROM zip file frump PC to the SD card’s root folder in the phone.
· Now, switch off the phone and then disconnect USB cable from the PC.
· Then press and hold power, Volume up and down buttons together for a few seconds. This will activate fast boot mode. Tap the volume down key to enable Recovery mode. Hitting power will initiate the recovery mode.
· As the phone enters CWM Recovery mode, you need to initiate Full Data wipe by selecting option ‘Wipe Data/Factory Reset’.
· Next, select the option Wipe Cache Partition and let the process be completed. Then select Wipe Dalvik Cache under ‘advanced’ option.
· Now, get back to main recovery menu. Select the option InstallZip from SDcard and then opt for Choose Zip from SDcard. Install the AOSP ROM zip file in next step. Then, install the Google Apps in same way.
· After Google Apps and ROM installation is done, choose “+++++Go Back+++++” and then select the option ‘Reboot System Now’ under the Recovery menu. The reboot will take a few minutes and thereafter Android Lollipop will be running in your device.
Summing it up
It is true that using ASOP ROM to update the OS in your Galaxy Nexus I9250 does not make you eligible for support from Samsung and Google. However, by using this ROM you can experience the amazing new features of Lollipop in your device and no cost is involved either. The entire update process is quite simple and requires little time- so it is worth a try!