Back in 2012, the Galaxy S2 GT I9100 was among the hottest Smart phones in the market and it was among the bestsellers from stables of Samsung.
While the successors have stolen the limelight there are thousands of users who still use this handset. If you are one of them, Samsung’s move to rule out OS updates for this model may seem rather disheartening.
While the Galaxy S2 GT I9100 is not officially eligible for receiving either Kitkat or Lollipop OS versions, you still can get the updates.
It is possible to install the newest version of Android on this device using third party ROM firmware.
Preparations before updating the Galaxy S2 GT I9100 to Lollipop
A few preparations are required before you can install Lollipop OS in your Galaxy S2 GT I9100.
- You will need to install TWRP or CWM Recovery in the device.
- The device needs to be rooted before the third party ROM can be installed.
- You will need to equip the PC with USB drivers beforehand.
- It is necessary the device has at least 50 percent battery or more for hassle free installation.
Recommended:- Step by Step Guide to Root Moto X on Lollipop 5.0
How to install CyanogenMod based Android Lollipop on Galaxy S2 GT I9100
- At first, you will have to download the CyanogenMod CM12 custom firmware for Android 5.0 Lollipop in the PC. You will also need to download Google Apps. For convenience, download both files in the desktop.
- Now, connect the Galaxy S2 I9100 to the PC using the USB cable.
- Now, copy the Android Lollipop zip file to the SD card root of the device.
- Then, switch off the device and disconnect from the computer.
- After that, you need to activate the phone’s Recovery mode by pressing and holding power, home, volume buttons.
- After the phone gets into Recovery mode, select ‘wipe data/factory reset’. You need to use the ‘Power’ button to pick options and ‘Volume’ keys to scroll in this mode.
- Select ‘wipe cache partition’ to clear cache memory.
- Then revert to CWM/TWRP recovery. Choose ‘advanced’ and select ‘wipe dalvik cache’.
- Return to the main recovery screen and select the option ‘install zip from SD card’.
- Next, select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Pick the Android 5.0.1 Lollipop ROM zipped file in SD card. Begin the installation process thereafter.
- After the Lollipop installation is done, go to ‘+++++Go Back+++++’ and then reboot the phone by selecting ‘reboot system now’ option. Note that the final reboot will take some time to be completed.
Summing it up
While the custom ROM, namely CM12 enables you to enjoy the new features and enhancements of Android Lollipop in the Galaxy SII, it is unofficial.
This means you will not get any support from either Samsung or Google for any issues related to this update.
However, it is still useful when you do not want to discard the device and still experience the newest iteration of Android.
The extra features of Custom ROM also sweeten the deal.